Babies have thin and sensitive skin that is particularly susceptible to cold temperatures and strong winds. Parents are used to bundling their little ones up before heading outside. However, there are a few extra steps to take during the winter to ensure smooth and healthy skin:
- Moisturizer. Use a moisturizing cream or ointment such as Aquaphor or petroleum jelly one or two times daily is a great way to keep your child skin moist and silky smooth. It is ideal to apply it shortly after their bath.
- Petroleum jelly for lips. Lips can get dry and chapped during the cold, dry winter months. Apply a thin layer of petroleum jelly as needed during the day and at bedtime.
- Sunscreen. Even though the sunlight is not as strong in the winter as it is in the summer, babies can still get sunburn. Don't forget to apply sunscreen before heading outside.
- Dress in layers. It can be easy to get so worried about keeping babies warm that they end up overheating. Dress little ones in breathable layers that you can remove as needed.
- Warm accessories. Mittens, a hat or hood and warm boots or shoes are a great way to keep your little one warm from head to toe.
- Keep skin hydrated. Expose a baby's skin to water twice daily to keep it hydrated. Consider a non-soap cleanser such as Cetaphil and don't forget to moisturize afterward, as previously stated. You will keep your baby's skin hydrated preventing dry, itchy skin and conditions associated with it such as eczema.
- Limit outdoor time. It is important to get outside every day during the winter but it is also critical not to overdo it. Keep outdoor excursions limited and always dress babies appropriately for the given weather conditions.
About the Author
Cody Taylor is the owner of Personalized Piggy Banks, a company that specializes in creating adorable baby gifts and piggy banks for kids. Personalized Piggy Banks is known for their originality. Taylor believes that giving a personalized gift will never lose its value and puts a lot of energy into the company to ensure that every child gets a one of a kind gift. Each gift is hand painted with great detail by artists Dodo and Channi and promises child safeness.